Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression



What memory do you have of an incident when you experienced bias, prejudice, and/or
oppression or witnessed someone else as the target of bias, prejudice, and/or oppression? Keep in mind that one can encounter such incidents in real contexts, including online environments, as well as in fictional ones, such as movies, books, television shows, and the like.
The memory I have of an incident when I experienced bias, prejudice, and/oppression, or witnessed someone else as the target of bias, prejudice, and/or oppression.
Every time I would visit the neighborhood hardware store I felt like I was being watched. On each visit one of the owners would ask a worker to help me after several responses of telling them no help was needed.  Not only are these in my opinion a form of racism, its sexism as well.

In what way(s) did the specific bias, prejudice and/or oppression in that incident diminish equity?
The specific bias, prejudice and/or oppression in this incident diminish equity by reducing my self-esteem. This incident lead me to believe that the people (Caucasians) that owns this store is racist. They think biracial people steals. But one cannot just look at a person and judge them.

What and/or who would have to change in order to turn this incident into an opportunity for greater equity?
The owner of this store will have to change his views towards people that are different from him. After all this is a public place, one that don’t suppose to discriminate against anyone because of race. I believe if this store owner would put away his bias attitude and accept people that come into his store for who they are, he would make more sells.

What feelings did this incident bring up for you?
This incident caused feelings of powerless, sadness, and fear to me.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Sheena, I've actually experienced this several times. It could be so insulting and downgrading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheena,
    I have also had this experience, but I make it my business not to return to those places because I get very offended by this. When I feel offended in any way I make it known to let them know I am very much aware of what's going on.

    ReplyDelete