Saturday, March 22, 2014

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture




An instructor that I talked to at my son’s high school stated that culture to him is any and everything in one’s universe. Words, reactions, beliefs, space. Culture involves everything we encounter from day to day. Diversity involves components of our personal attributes, culture, character, and our background.

A sorority student that I had a conversation with this week defined culture as a connection between individuals and social constructions. An establishment of values, rules, goals, and beliefs. She described diversity as a uniqueness of people.

Aspects of culture such as belief, values, goals, and diversity as being unique that I studied in this course was included in the answers I received.


As I think about other people’s definitions of culture and diversity, I realize that everyone has different views of culture and diversity. This lead me to believe that one’s meaning of culture and diversity can be described at any given time.

3 comments:

  1. I also found it interesting that everyone included different meanings of culture and diversity yet they all contained similarities as well. I guess that is why culture and diversity are such broad topics that one can study over and over again, because they are defined differently by each person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to the conclusion of the same realization that everyone share different views of culture and diversity. I believe it is related to how we view the world and there is no set definition. I found it unique to learn others views this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at and listening to what culture means to people almost make me believe that even though we are different in many ways we are still very similar in lots of ways to. They all mostly believe that culture is the way we are raised and diversity is how we are different.

    ReplyDelete