Saturday, May 17, 2014

Media Communication

The TV show I watched was I Love Lucy, the episode of the chocolate factory.
With the sound turned off, I think the characters' relationships based on the ways in which they are communicating is strong and friendly.
 Based on the nonverbal behavior I observed which was facial expression, the characters was feeling and expressing uneasiness, doubtfulness, slowness and ashamed.
With the sound turned on, the assumptions I made about the characters and plot based on the ways in which I interpreted the communication I observed was true. The characters appeared to be slow and not knowing what they were doing. I think my assumptions would have been just as accurate if I had been watching a show that I was familiar with.

From this experience I have learned that one’s assumptions about nonverbal communication is just as accurate as it would be about verbal communication. 

3 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you feel that one's assumptions about non verbal communication are just as accurate as with verbal communication. I watched my show and was wrong about several aspects of the show. I think having both pieces is essential in having a complete picture and more accurate communication. So much can be misinterpreted when only non verbal language is used. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheena!

    Thank you for sharing. I actually had a different experience watching my selected show as I was right about a few things, however, after listening to the show definitely shed light on the real issues. I do believe that both forms of non verbal and verbal communication are important as the awareness will contribute to becoming competent communicators.

    Take care,

    Lisa K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheena, I found the same to be true that non verbal communication plays a major role along with verbal communication.

    ReplyDelete